FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 22 00:51:08 UTC 2006

On 9/21/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Rick Tomaschuk wrote:
> > Convicted monopolist Microsoft sponsored IDC research shows that the
> > launch of Windows Vista will precipitate cascading economic benefits.
> > Installing patches and re imaging hard drives thought by some to boost
> > job opportunities.
> >
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000097
> >

> I wish that folks thought a little more when tossing the term FUD
> around. Using it to describe anything a competitor says that one doesn't
> like helps neither the LJ writer nor the word. And this instance is
> _clearly_ not FUD.

Personally, I see Microsoft's move as nothing more than a simple
marketing tactic.  A weapon - armed, locked, and loaded on those who
focus in on their FUD.

What used to be a primary effect ("Woo - This research company says
Microsoft continues to rule our economy....") has become a secondary
effect.  Some companies may still buy that, but M$ knows better.  They
know companies are listening for alternatives (because the _still_
don't control the internet - or at least the web.)

The new "primary effect" is to cause those who "spot fud" to "cry
wolf" and then use the ensuing confusion to "further explain" their
goals.

As always, my $0.02

--
Scott Elcomb