FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 21 22:49:18 UTC 2006

Rick Tomaschuk wrote:
> Convicted monopolist Microsoft sponsored IDC research shows that the
> launch of Windows Vista will precipitate cascading economic benefits.
> Installing patches and re imaging hard drives thought by some to boost
> job opportunities.
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000097

I wish that folks thought a little more when tossing the term FUD
around. Using it to describe anything a competitor says that one doesn't
like helps neither the LJ writer nor the word. And this instance is
_clearly_ not FUD.

FUD is the use of rumours and innuendo to discredit competition by
spreading Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt about existing things. This
particular tactic by MS is to promise (or really, just predict)  future
benefits if the EU gets out of its way.

Furthermore, you know there's some accuracy to what's being said (though
it's no doubt exaggerated). The IT industry _will_ make scads of money
from upgrading companies to Vista -- not only the software itself and
the services sold to do the actual upgrade, but the procurement of new
hardware needed to run it, associated consultants fees, migration
preparation, training etc etc etc.

It's not a lie, or even a nasty rumour, that if the upgrade does not
exist, the IT industry will lose out. At worst, the report is a
half-truth in that it ignores the fact that money not spent on upgrades
will not magically vanish. Money not spent on Vista will be spent on
other needs, allow for creation of non-IT-support jobs, or simply allow
companies to be more profitable and competitive by reducing expenses.
While nobody expects MS/IDC to present the positive side of not having
all those upgrades, it's clear that the IT sector -- the non-innovative,
box-selling and disk-inserting portion of that sector -- stands to gain
if the upgrade opportunity exists and stands to lose if it doesn't.

I don't understand why anyone would be surprised at a report that states
this case, let along consider it FUD.

- Evan