Life on the bleeding edge

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 21 19:04:55 UTC 2006

Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>
>> I've been looking to put a new distro on my laptop, and my choice this
>> time is to do something that is close to being, if not quite yet, fully
>> cooked.
>>
>> I've tried Release Candidate 2 of Mandriva 2007; in fact that's what I'm
>> using as I write this now. It uses the Compiz window manager with 3D
>> effects using the AIGLX extensions to X Windows (it also supports XGL).
>> Some of the eye candy is nice, but it doesn't really offer much more
>> functionality and some things (like the elastic-band characteristic of
>> windows) is starting to get on my nerves.
>>
>> I'm thinking of tossing it,
>
>     Why would you toss an entire distro because you don't like the
>     window manager? Use whategver window manager suits you; the distro
>     has nothing to do with it. My desktop look the same whether I'm
>     using Mandriva, Ubuntu or any other distro.

Well, it sounds as if it more a matter of turning off aiglx by default
rather than window manager in this case. That and/or compiz. I'd rather
run a distro that has compiz off by default, especially considering that
the project has now forked. Also, being a Release Candidate is a good
reason in many cases to drop a distro, or a version thereof.

Jamon