Life on the bleeding edge

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 21 05:45:42 UTC 2006

I've been looking to put a new distro on my laptop, and my choice this
time is to do something that is close to being, if not quite yet, fully
cooked.

I've tried Release Candidate 2 of Mandriva 2007; in fact that's what I'm
using as I write this now. It uses the Compiz window manager with 3D
effects using the AIGLX extensions to X Windows (it also supports XGL).
Some of the eye candy is nice, but it doesn't really offer much more
functionality and some things (like the elastic-band characteristic of
windows) is starting to get on my nerves.

I'm thinking of tossing it, and trying out Kubuntu Edgy instread. Lots
of new stuff (and an available package of KDE 4!) but no plans to
integrate the 3D stuff anytime soon. I was quite impressed with the
Dapper release (which now supports the PLF repository as well as
Mandriva). Does anyone have any experience with Edgy they'd like to share?

Also: what's the Ubuntu upgrade experience like? Was going from Breezy
to Dapper reasonably clean?

Thanks for any responses!

- Evan