Linux Equivalent to Norton Ghost?

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 16 21:52:10 UTC 2006

If the two drives are the same size and you want to copy one onto the
other, the dd command is exactly what you would want.  Even if they're
not the same size, dd is still a good option, you would just have to
do some partition resizing as well.

If you have a liveCD, and both drives are connected, the syntax would be

# dd if=/dev/olddrive of=/dev/newdrive

For example:

# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda

You can also do

# dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/sda1

but then you have to worry about the partitions being the right size,
and the size of the filesystems you're copying as well.  Definitely dd
is what you want though, I myself have cloned an 80GB drive to a
second one before replacing the first one in my laptop.  If you clone
them in this way, the second drive can be physically swapped in for
the first.