xorg and ATI Mach64 (was Serious OO/Debian problem...)

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 15 15:32:32 UTC 2006

Ivan Avery Frey wrote:
> I'm not sure what Mach64 based card this is anymore. The above message
> from me is incorrect. Xorg was correctly identifying the card but would
> run into an unaddressable memory error and crap out with a no usable
> screens error.
>
> Anyhow if you could advise me how I can get xorg 6.8 to tell me what
> card I have I will gladly forward this information to you.

If you don't have the manuals or driver disks for the video card around the
only way to know what card you have is to open up the machine, pull the board,
and look at it.

If you want to know what xorg thinks you have, you need to look at the
contents of the xorg.conf file. Look for 'Section "Device"' that has an
Identifier line containing the string "Videocard".

My machine is running xorg 7.0.0 and the video card information in my
xorg.conf file is:

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "ati"
         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
         BoardName   "ATI All-in-Wonder Pro"
         VideoRam    7328
EndSection

The VideoRam line for my video card would normally be 8192. The need to
specify a lower value is part of my setup to allow use of the GATOS TV tuner
program.

If xorg is telling you "Unaddressable memory" it might be mis-identifying your
card or it might think your card has more memory than is actually installed on
the card. If it is guessing wrong about how much memory is available you could
try using the VideoRam line to tell it how much RAM is on the card. Older
video cards didn't have much video memory so you could try values such as 2048
or 4096.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/ |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172        |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus: