multi-function B/W laser printer device

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 14 15:24:06 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 10:29, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Scott C. Ripley wrote:
> > anyone have a favorite brand for a multi-function (fax, copy,
> > etc.) B/W laser printer device?
>
> At least in terms of Linux support, you can't beat HP; it's taken
> great lengths to provide official printing, scanning and fax
> (sending) support for its devices. You can check ahead of time how
> well a particular model is supported at
> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/mono_laser_mfp.html
>
> Also reasonably good in support are Brother and Epson, with Canon a
> notch or two below that.
>
> I also know of some people who would just say "anything but
> Lexmark".

And some, like me, who swear by Lexmark equipment, though admittedly,
we've never sold the consumer, all-in-one, or inkjet models, just
their B&W lasers. They are built like tanks and I have had no
problems with driver support in Linux. I use a 1650n and it's
actually easier to install in Linux using CUPS than with Windows. One
of the Lexmarks we sold a few years ago, an Optra S 2450, has printed
1.3 million copies with nothing more than regular preventative
maintenance and toner cartridges. You can often find inexpensive
refurbished units, though the copy counts are luck of the draw. A
batch we sold ranged from 10k to 200k copies but all are working fine
at least two years later.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay