multi-function B/W laser printer device

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 14 15:15:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:29:52AM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> At least in terms of Linux support, you can't beat HP; it's taken great
> lengths to provide official printing, scanning and fax (sending) support
> for its devices. You can check ahead of time how well a particular model
> is supported at
> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/mono_laser_mfp.html

HP has certainly improved their support for linux.  Their printers seem
fairly reliable too.  I wish their inkjet quality matched that of the
epson's, but I guess you can't have it all.

> Also reasonably good in support are Brother and Epson, with Canon a
> notch or two below that.

Certainly my experience with canon's is that they are often very badly
supported if at all.  And then there is the lousy print quality on top
of that.  Why bother.

With brother I have only used a few of them, and they were in my opinion
cheap junk, with lousy support due mainly to emulating HP devices (just
not fully or properly).  I won't buy anything made by brother anymore.

> I also know of some people who would just say "anything but Lexmark".

Yeah avoid those.

--
Len Sorensen