Ultimate FOSS mailserver?

Jeremy Baker jab-76OBl6+JcyzDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 14 04:35:47 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 00:01, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'll be installing a new mailserver for someone, so I can start from
> scratch rather than upgradiing from something else.
>
> So far the intention is to install the following components:
> - Postfix email server
> - SpamAssassin spam-removal system (with Maia web-based configuration
> interface)
> - Courier IMAP server
> - GPG
> - Mailman mailing list management
> - Clam anti-virus
> - Squirrel webmail
>

> 1) Are each of the above tools still considered at or near the top of
> their fields?
>
> 2) I don't have a lot of experience with Clam -- how is it? Is there a
> need to go to a commercial system like Sophos or will Clam fit the bill?
>
> 3) One important component missing above is a groupware (shared
> calendar/todo-list) system. Is there yet an open soure system that will
> support Outlook Express (or optionally, the Lightning extension to
> Thunderbird)? How mature are the open source exchange replacements such
> as oser? In general, how have TLUGers done this in other installations?
>
> 4) Are there specialized distributions or bundles that people can
> recommend for an install like this? Or is it OK to just pick the parts
> out of a conventional distro?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> - Evan

I have been using clam for a couple of years with amavis to scan all incoming
mail to my server, and it has worked great.  I don't know what you would gain
with Sophos.
I think my setup is pretty much identical to yours, except I also have
postgrey in the mix, and is working fine on a FC4 installation.  You will
have to build the rpms for courier, but it doesn't take much effort. All in
all, the products you have listed integrate quite easily.
--
Jeremy Baker <jab-76OBl6+JcyzDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org>
GnuPGP fingerprint =