Ultimate FOSS mailserver?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 14 04:01:23 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'll be installing a new mailserver for someone, so I can start from
scratch rather than upgradiing from something else.

So far the intention is to install the following components:
- Postfix email server
- SpamAssassin spam-removal system (with Maia web-based configuration
interface)
- Courier IMAP server
- GPG
- Mailman mailing list management
- Clam anti-virus
- Squirrel webmail

1) Are each of the above tools still considered at or near the top of
their fields?

2) I don't have a lot of experience with Clam -- how is it? Is there a
need to go to a commercial system like Sophos or will Clam fit the bill?

3) One important component missing above is a groupware (shared
calendar/todo-list) system. Is there yet an open soure system that will
support Outlook Express (or optionally, the Lightning extension to
Thunderbird)? How mature are the open source exchange replacements such
as oser? In general, how have TLUGers done this in other installations?

4) Are there specialized distributions or bundles that people can
recommend for an install like this? Or is it OK to just pick the parts
out of a conventional distro?

Any help is appreciated.

- Evan