hardware recycling

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 14 03:55:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 02:29:52PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote

> I expect XP will be around for a LONG time.

  Unless Windows Genuine (ahem) Advantage shuts it down at a specific
time.

> > So does that mean that slightly old but perfectly
> > functioning OS-less
> > PCs are available at REALLY cheap rates? I assumed
> > that many donators to
> > places like Reboot have already written off their
> > gear and are thankful
> > for anything they get. What's the going rate for a
> > vanilla P3 system
> > with decent video?
>
> Well, there is still some discussion inside the Toronto Free-Net
> about prices we will be offering used boxes at. So I am not willing
> to comment on that other than to say not much for a complete package,
> PC, monitor, keyboard, mouse...

  http://www.sub500.com/199s.htm shows $170 for a factory-refurbished
1.7 ghz P4 with 256 megs of RAM, a 20 gig drive, and a CD, keyboard, and
speakers, with Linspire.  Do you realize I paid more than 10 times as
much for my 1999 Dell, PIII, 450 mhz, 128 megs of RAM, 35 gig drive, CD,
keyboard, and speakers... sigh.

  Anything below P4 will be worthless soon.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca