hardware recycling

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 14 01:56:07 UTC 2006

On 9/13/06, paul sutton <zleap-Tp5KeRqLOeNeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am sure there are lots of people out there who would apreciate the
> older hardware,

That doesn't contradict the notion that it is likely as economical for
the would-be recipients in Africa to *instead* import low end modern
hardware.

I'll bet that it takes $100 worth of North American labour to prepare
that Pentium II box to head to Africa.  And then it'll cost $50 to
ship it over.  I'd be unsurprised if it took another $50 to bribe
enough that there's a chance of it getting past the docks...

At that point, you have something a fraction as powerful as a $300 new
beige box.

"Bleeding heart donors" may feel good about having "done something,"
but it doesn't make it great economics.
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.