hardware recycling

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 12 23:12:46 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 07:59:57PM +0000, Christopher Browne wrote:
> It seems economically infeasible.  We recently saw an example on this
> very list; a fellow whose name escapes me was given a bunch of
> circa-486 boxes to take them to Haiti to put together an "Internet
> Cafe."
>
> He quickly came to the conclusion that it was much more viable to
> scrap them and buy some low-end new hardware for the purpose.

Also, I might add, that folks in Africa and South America want what we
want.  In fact, they are better able to take advantage of latest
technology, since they don't have lagacy support.  Keep in mind that
China and India makes all the hardwares that we buy.  Cell phone and
mud-brick house do mingle very well.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell