hardware recycling

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 12 20:27:11 UTC 2006

--- Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 9/12/06, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > paul sutton wrote:
> > > is there a mailing list for free-net, I am sure
> Tom in England can help
> > > or advise here. I am chatting on irc right now.
> > >
> > > Paul
> >
> > Colin indicates that the retain market is dieing
> (dead?) but maybe this
> > is something a government sponsorship or program
> might help with? I'd
> > love to hear any input. Could you maybe ask him to
> email me (mkelly at
> > alteeve . com)? If he has the time, of course. :)
>
> Why *should* the government artificially push the
> value of this up?
>
> That tends to lead to trouble...

Even though I am in the business, I will let my
centre-right politics come to the fore here. The
government should only get involved to the extent that
it makes $ sense. For example, if spending $1 to
recycle a PC saves $2 in trash hauling/dumping fees,
sure, do it. If in spending $1 to recycle a PC means
you train a technician and get him/her off welfare
saving $2 then sure do it. But at the moment sad to
say the numbers don't add up. Sorry.

Colin.