Hardware experiences?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 12 14:09:24 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 05:47:12AM -0500, Sy Ali wrote:
> I thought that this was untrue with some hardware setups..
>
> Granted, it's in the manufacturer's best interest to make things as
> smooth as possible, but it's possible that 32-bit speed on a 64-bit
> setup might not be as good.. but I'm not sure if those are rare setups
> or not.

Well the 32bit performance of the athlon 64/opteron systems is faster
than any 32bit only athlon ever had.  It was even faster than most of
intel's 32bit and 64bit cpus on most things.  Move to 64bit and the lead
just increases.  It was already the best 32bit cpu for a number of
years, and hence a good buy even if you had no interest in 64bit
support.  It looks like the Core 2 may now be the cpu to beat on both 32
and 64bit performance though, assuming you can even find a store with
one in stock to buy. :)

--
Len Sorensen