Backing up to DVDs

Paul van Fraassen paul-s7S4Dk53uTw at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 12 02:51:40 UTC 2006

Sorry I didn't notice this post earlier but, better late than never right?
I've used dar for some time on Debian (Sarge) and found it works well and
sits nicely in scripts that I then hit with cron. Mostly, I then move the
.dar file sets to other hard disks but I do on occasion burn them to DVDs.
When ever I'm going to burn the archive sets I set the dar file size to <
2Gig as I ran into an ISO-9660 file size limit when I first played with
this. I don't know if this is still the case as I haven't looked at it in a
while maybe someone here has a update, fix hint etc.
These days it seems putting the archives on external HDs makes the most
sense on small number of machines Cost per Gig etc.
I like using command line stuff for backups myself as it makes me feel like
there is less to go wrong when I'm in a hurry to restore stuff :-) I know
very retro.

-Paul v.F.