SMART warns Boot Drive will Fail

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 12 00:54:27 UTC 2006

Stephen wrote:
> So I get the message when booting this evening.
>
> All my data directories are on other drives, /VAR, /USR, /HOME
>
> What is the least painful way to switch to a new boot drive.
>
> I use Ubunto.
>
> Thanks!
> Stephen

Assuming you have other partitions to use, and that you are using grub,
edit: '/boot/grub/menu.lst'. Copy the entry you normally use (don't
edit, in case there are problems) and change the 'root	(0,0)' line (and
possible the 'kernel' line if needed) to point to the new disk. If you
need to write the MBR on the new disk I *think* you need to use 'fdisk'
to set the bootable flag on the new '/boot' partition, but I might be
wrong. I haven't done this myself and am largely guessing.

This is assuming you have already duplicated your partitions onto the
new drive. Also, you might want to read 'man grub' and 'man fdisk' for
more info, given the cost of "doing it wrong".

Maybe someone here has experience doing this and can offer sounder advice?

Madi