reading legacy floppy disks

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 11 13:14:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 07:10:33PM -0400, Howard Gibson wrote:
>     Would eight bit integers even work?  I recall running C Power on the Commodore_64, and its integers were sixteen bit.  So were its long integers.

I think any compiler that tried to make int 8 bits would fail to compile
and run most C code.

The C standard apparently requires:

char minimum 8 bits (some compilers have 9, 16, 24, or even 32 bits)
short minimum 16 bits
int minimum 16 bits (most modern systems probably use 32 bits though)
long minimum 32 bits
long long minimum 64 bits

--
Len Sorensen