access your linux desktop remotely from any java-enabled web browser

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 11 12:47:27 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 10:47 -0500, Sy Ali wrote:
> What is "Remote Desktop"?
>
> To my knowledge, vncserver does not provide the web server and java
> application..

The Remote Desktop that RHEL4 refers to is an X module that allows
remote control of the console's X windows session. It uses the same
protocol as VNC and is bundled in RHEL's vnc-server RPM.

Fedora Core also has it. And before RHEL bundled it one could download
xvnc from sourceforge and install it to get the same effect. I haven't
checked but it's possible that RHEL and FC have simply bundled xvnc into
vnc-server.

Without this vnc module one cannot access the console's GUI, one had to
create a second desktop (on vnc port 5901) and affix that desktop to a
specific login.

--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.