iso-8859-2 encoding problem on filesystem

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 10 20:59:33 UTC 2006

I have got some songs in Polish from the Internet, recorded them on CD.

I am able to play them by drugging by mouse to RealPlayer.

But I can not open them in another way or copy them under a different file
name to hard drive. They contain some Polish signs in iso-8859-2 (I guess)
which are displayed in terminal window as ?'s . Midnight Commander used to
deal perfectly well with similar problems but not this time. It looks like
the system does not recognize the file names.

How to make a copy of them under a different filename?

zb.