Hardware experiences?

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 10 13:11:07 UTC 2006

You know, if the OP was talking about making a server box, you'd be
right, and I totally agree with you, but it looks like he's talking
about making a desktop system.  You seem to incorrectly think that
the Linux desktop use case always involves a need for an unnatural
compatibility with windows.  I'm using it in a desktop situation, and
I definitely don't want it to emulate Windows the way you describe.
However, if I want to run flash, or mplayer with the closed source
codecs, or any free software app that hasn't been ported to 64-bit (I
know, these apps should be ashamed), I need to be running those apps
in 32-bit mode.  So my point was just that I don't think it's worth it
to boot up in 64-bit rather than just run everything in 32-bit and not
have to worry about this stuff until I see some decisive benchmarks
that prove me wrong.

If you're using the box as a server, then yes, I agree with you, you
might as well use 64-bit, no matter what, cause the cons go away.