Hardware experiences?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 10 03:26:22 UTC 2006

On 9/9/06, David Thornton <david-FkEgs2FKm2NvBvnq28/GKQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I would liken vi to an AK-47.
>
> Cheap, everywhere, with a healthly list of features ( single, semi and
> full automatic)

... and able to destroy entire documents with a single :s/^.*$//g  :-)

I'm an Emacs guy, and Tramp mode (Transparent Remote Access, Multiple
Protocols) now gives me the ability to access any documents I can get
to via (ssh|rsh|rsync|scp|sudo|telnet).

But it's frequent enough that I'm logged in somewhere where only vi is
an option that it appears I have absorbed enough of that I'm often
showing "vi people" what to do :-).
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.