database schema visualization tools?

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 9 15:00:04 UTC 2006

On Thursday 07 September 2006 17:17, Christopher Browne wrote:
> On 9/7/06, Aaron Vegh <aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > I'm looking for an open source package that will allow me to visualize
> > tables in a relational database (mysql in this case, but the database
> > itself is irrelevant). A tool that lets me enter database table names
> > and column names, and then either draw or otherwise indicate
> > relationships between the fields. The result would be a visual schema
> > showing the tables with lines connecting them together.
> >
> > Does anything like this exist?
>
> DIA has been used for this...
>
> There's a package called postgresql_autodoc which transforms DB
> schemas into diagrams in several formats.  It's really quite
> DB-specific, but it might be possible to take an analagous approach
> with MySQL(tm), perhaps...

There is no ANY documentation for postgresql_autodoc . This is silly. The
author spend time to write a possibly usefull software but did not care to
explain even what are command line arguments. So often that happens.

Sure, I could guess by looking into the code how to use it...

But it did not work in my case anyway.. Exit code 2. ;)

zb.