using sendmail without the service running

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 9 13:41:32 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 07:57 -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Just one more service I don't really need running, and I need to make
> sure it is secure.

Security shouldn't be a big concern. Sendmail is pretty secure on most
distro's installation. On Fedora/Red Hat for example, the only ports
listening by default are on localhost.

As long as the solution can handle message loss (when the remote SMTP
server is unavailable) then lack of queuing shouldn't be a problem.

What about system messages? You must be running a real stripped down
system.

--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.