Toronto Hydro Wifiy

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 8 19:34:55 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 02:07:57PM -0400, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>    Why not?

Because if you have 15 minutes idle the system disconnects you and your
system has to reauthenticate before being back on the network.  Hence an
inbound connection can't happen unless you are already authenticated and
on the network.  I guess you could probably write something to poke a
website or something every 5 minutes, and if it fails, run a script to
reauthenticate again.  Still seems stupid to have to do that.

>    That's a minor problem. When I didn't have a static IP, I stored
>    the current IP address on a remote site.

The dynamic IP is indeed a minor problem.

--
Len Sorensen