Hardware experiences?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 8 17:27:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 07:30:05AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> That would depend on whether you're buying new or not.  There are plenty
> of name brand "refurb" P4 systems available for about $200, which are
> sufficiently powerful for many users.

Or get a new sempron system for about the same price.  That even has a
warrenty.

> I've got an Athlon 64 3200+, which I bought in June.  I assume it would
> have that too.

Depends on the stepping.  If it was june, it was probably before socket
AM2, and the older ones came both with and without virtualization
assistance.  For example this Athlon 64 3500+ socket 939 does NOT have
support for virtualization (or even running 64bit guests in vmware):

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 15
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 2202.912
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 pni syscall nx mmxext lm
3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 4308.99
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

It is a stepping 0 Athlon 64.  I suspect you need stepping 2 or 3 before
you get virtualization.  Not sure which cpu flags those have to indicate
that.

--
Len Sorensen