off topicthe home of tomorrow?

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 7 20:46:31 UTC 2006

--- James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Colin McGregor wrote:
>
> > Besides the "main" basement rack, I did set-up a
> small
> > hub in the attic (protected inside an old wooden
> shoe
> > box)
>
> Where'd you find wooden shoes?  ;-)

You know those crazy eco-friendly Dutch, biodegrade
shoes, and biodegradable packaging :-) .

Serious, the wooden box was fairly new (read likely
less than 20 years). How it came into the house I
don't know (I will blame my brother on that score as
he is currently teaching English in South Korea :-) ).
Any event when I got the box there was no top to the
box, but I fixed that with a thin sheet of Plexiglas.
The way in and out of the box (for cables) I did with
a conduit connector (makes wrapping holes in order to
keep insects out easier).

> > I still don't totally trust wireless networking,
> in
> > part due to my holding an amateur radio licence
> > (VE3ZAA). A basic rule in my books has been, get a
> new
> > radio, see what it can pick up. So, cordless phone
> > calls, oddball radio stations, (like XMJ225,
> Toronto's
> > most boring radio station, all Toronto weather,
> all
> > the time) etc., no problem (well, okay, the phone
> > calls I have heard were BORING, but that is beside
> the
> > point). Basicly encryption or not, I don't want to
> be
> > transmitting anything I care about, PERIOD.
>
> I have my WiFi outside of my firewall and have to
> use OpenVPN or SSH to
> access my network.  I also use WEP, for whatever
> it's worth.

My key security trick is to keep the WiFi hub/router
turned off when I am not using it (which isn't often).

> BTW, VE3ZU here.

Which qualifications? I have Basic and Advanced (yes,
I really ought to sit down and learn Morse, but I
haven't yet), and it has been too long since I have
been at all active. Basically all my activity was on 2
meters...

Colin McGregor
VE3ZAA