Running 2 website off 1 IP address

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 7 20:33:40 UTC 2006

Jason Carson wrote:
>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>> DocumentRoot "/var/www/localhost/htdocs/canuckster"
>> ServerName canuckster.org
>> <Directory "/var/www/localhost/htdocs/canuckster">
>> allow from all
>> Options +Indexes
>> </Directory>
>> </VirtualHost>
>>
>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>> DocumentRoot /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mmorpg
>> ServerName massivelymultiplayeronlineroleplayinggames.org
>> <Directory /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mmorpg>
>> allow from all
>> Options +Indexes
>> </Directory>
>> </VirtualHost>
>>
>> However, only canuckster.org works,
>> massivelymultiplayeronlineroleplayinggames.org doesn't work.

Boy, it's been a while.

IIRC the system is very precise, so that in the above config
http://assivelymultiplayeronlineroleplayinggames.org will work but
http://www.massivelymultiplayeronlineroleplayinggames.org will not.
I think you may need to add another line to fix that:

[...]
<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mmorpg
ServerName massivelymultiplayeronlineroleplayinggames.org
ServerAlias *.massivelymultiplayeronlineroleplayinggames.org     <----
add this
<Directory /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mmorpg>
allow from all
Options +Indexes
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>
[...]

This may not solve your problem, but it may solve some others down the
road. Also, keep in mind that some browsers don't send enough
information for the server to know what domain you want, so you might
want to check things out with another server -- as well as the apache
logs -- before being certain that the config doesn't work.

See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/vhosts/name-based.html for more info.

HTH,

- Evan