Publishing note...

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 7 17:37:16 UTC 2006

Colin McGregor wrote:
> There is a new editor at Tux Magazine if anyone is interested. In an e-mail I got earlier today I gather
> that Tony Mobily is taking over from Kevin Shockey, effective immediately. No idea as to why the change happened.

Gawd, the folks at SSC just don't seem to know what to do with this.

> Evan Leibovitch - Tux Magazine

There's a bit more; the Tux Magazine thing was a one-shot lark for which
I still haven't been paid.

As for other stuff...

I'm happy to have encouraged people to migrate from SCO to Linux in
1997, long before the lawsuit:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2062

Over the years I've done various pieces for an assortment of pubs,
including two that I'm fairly proud of which appeared in peer-reviewed
journals from IEEE and Harvard Law School.

I did roughly 100 columns for ZDNet as its resident open source
columnist, until the ZDNet/CNet merge when they purged all columnists
and took a more FUD-filled approach to FOSS.
http://telly.org/articles-zdnet

There's the quarterly piece that I still do for Computing Canada
magazine (which later appears in itbusiness.ca -- my last one was
http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/ComputerCanada/News.asp?id=40040&bSearch=True)

And then there's the occasional thing that's self published -- a piece I
wrote in 1998, "the four phases of Linux acceptance", still attracts a
good share of hits on my website: http://telly.org/4phases

So, yeah, I guess you could say that I write from time to time.

> Further while I know Linux Journal regular Marcel Gagne is (was?) local I am not sure if he is on the list.

Don't know if he's on the list -- Marcel maintains his own virtial user
group  at http://www.marcelgagne.com/wftl-lug.html -- but he is local
(if you count Mississauga).

> No doubt I have missed some folks,
Chris Tyler, a CS instructor at Seneca at York, is an author for O'Reilly
on Fedora.

> but still, does raise the question, do we have a large enough group of writers and/or want-a-be writers to set-up some sort of Linux writers group? Just a thought...

Sounds like a good idea. I would keep it distinct from regular [New]TLUG
meetings, though, as the issues and topics are radically different.

- Evan