Community volunteer project needs help

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 6 17:16:43 UTC 2006

Hi all.  We've been involved in a community volunteer project for a while
and with too many things on our plate we're hoping someone with a bit of
time can assist.  The project is mostly done but one bit remains
uncompleted.

We can't offer this as paid work as we are not getting paid to do this
work.  We can provide computer and human resources to assist in the
completion of the project though, and I am happy to write a reference
letter as a representative of this company for someone who puts in a
decent amount of work on this project.

If this sounds interesting then read on ...

The remaining task is actually fairly simple and someone may like to give
it a try for the fun of it.

We are helping a number of non-profit agencies in providing wireless thin
client access to people in Toronto who would otherwise not be able to
access computers in their homes.

Hardware is available and the servers are setup but someone needs to spend
the time to build a live cdrom that will do what we want.  The live cdrom
will boot on each terminal which will then connect to a server to provide
Internet & application access to users.

The requirements for the cdrom are fairly straight forward:

- Boot as a live cdrom and setup wireless access, an X server and a sound
   daemon.

- Autodetect hardware well as a variety of h/w will be in use - basically
   we're getting free 2nd hand boxes for the project.

- Use suitable wireless security.

A prototype based on Debian is running but we need better hardware
detection.

The current prototype is using X to provide thin client access and is
using WPA-PSK security.  I'm negotiable on these points, If FreeNX is a
better option then let's go for it.  I'd even accept WEP instead of WPA to
get the project moving forward.

The project is stalled due to a lack of human-time.

I think that covers the pertinent details well.

Anyone interested should just email me.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073