off topicthe home of tomorrow?

John Myshrall jmyshrall-6duGhz7i8susTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 7 01:15:21 UTC 2006

dave morton wrote:
> we are doing a major renovation this winter.
>
> gazing into your crystal balls, i am sure most would agree that
> wireless in some form or another, will be the future in homes (for
> streaming etc.), however, does anyone have any thoughts on what might
> be useful to include in our new house's hard-wiring?
>
> i can envision a day when low voltage wiring will be the norm for
> lights etc but what
> about 'wiring' (fibre, cat5 etc) in the home of the near future? is
> gigabit ethernet going to stay within the wires or will it become just
> another part of the radio spectrum as soon as bandwith glitches are
> cleared up?
>
> since we have the opportunity to rewire from scratch, it seems a good
> time to consider what should be sticking out of the electrical boxes
> as the wiring goes in. perhaps nothing more than cat5 cable will be
> handy for most near-future needs...i don't know
>
> i am pretty typical of most of us in this group, everything is hybrid:
> ADSL, wired linux servers, wifi debian laptops, bluetooth for
> blackberry , imac hardwired to a printer but remote-controlled, rogers
> cable, wirefree phones etc, etc, etc.
>
> for sure... all this stuff will be connected differently in just a few
> years
>
> the question is, can i hedge my bets on any coming trend(s)?
>
> dave
After just finishing hard wiring my basement and future office / theater
with Cat 5 (upper house is already) ,  I felt that if I could have made
a conduit to run wiring it would have made more sense. Who knows what
tomorrow brings.

Keep in mind what may be bleeding edge may get easily replace by a
smarter technology.

My Advice is give yourself options.

John