Software Freedom Day; the local team

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 5 16:39:56 UTC 2006

Ahhh ! Our sweet summer of 2006 seems to have ended like it was on a
switch. Back to school/ work, rake some leaves, think about Halloween
costumes and HEY ! Here comes Software Freedom Day !
www.softwarefreedomday.org
and what, if anything, do we want to do about it ?
The event (or at least the website) is BIG!
Kind of sponsored by Ubuntu, with an impressive number of participants
around the globe.
Sadly, as of this writing, Toronto (even Canada!) is barely represented.
That's right ! literally, not on the map.
Oh, we love our free software, alright, with a lotta LUGs and meet-ups
and happy OSS users aplenty, but we're not spending enough quality
time together. I mean the city, the country, the planet. There's a lot
of 'em signed up to make some noise,
http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/map/2006
and they're singing our song ! Y'know, the one about the Free Software
and Freedom and stuff ?
http://www.gnu.org/music/free-software-song.html
*sigh*

So anyways, If tlug got game den BRING IT ON !
[rolls big speakers into the gym, fires up thunderously catchy trax]
GIMME A "G"
GIMME A "T"
GIMME AN"heyyy, where you guys goin' ?
all I'm sayin, is if you ever got the urge to rush out and tell
somebody how important free software is to you and the world, maybe
Sept 16 is a good day for it ! Everybody else is doing it ! Yeah ! And
we're gonna jump off a bridge ! ..
just kidding...                  unless.........

Go to http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/teams/america/Canada and see
if we can engage some like minded Canadians, with a bit of energy and
imagination. Who's on the local team ?
djp (that's one)

linuxcaffe can provide;
meeting space
web space
coffee
a projector
a ten foot inflatable Tux
local experts/ enthusiasts
word-of-mouth
and..uhh.. did I mention coffee ?

djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
www.linuxcaffe.ca/sfd
326 Harbord Street, Toronto, M6G 3A5, (416) 534-2116