reading legacy floppy disks

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 5 16:29:09 UTC 2006

--- Dave Mason <dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have a bunch of 7" (yes, 7-inch) double-sided,
> high density (something
> over 1MB per disk) floppies that I want to try to
> read.  I really just
> want a dump onto a CD.  I can decode the format
> (UCSD P-System) and extract the
> data.  These were probably last used 20 years ago,
> but have been stored
> fairly carefully.  I don't have much of a budget for
> this, but I would
> really like to read them, if possible.
>
> Any ideas, offers, or recommendations much
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks  ../Dave

The co-founder of the Toronto Free-Net was the head
data librarian at the University of Toronto (a project
I have been very involved with), and I know that old
odd-ball magnetic media has been a regular pain for
her. If you would like I would be happy to forward
your question on to her and ask if she can offer her
$0.02 worth. Said woman may not have an answer or only
have an answer if you are part of the University of
Toronto, but...

Colin McGregor