reading legacy floppy disks

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 5 15:21:58 UTC 2006

Allen Taylor wrote:
>> I believe you mean 8 inch floppies.  You'd have to find someone with an
>> 8 inch floppy drive and a system that can understand the format use.

Worse than that, you need to find a controller for it as well; 8" drives
won't have the cable headers used by 3" floppies. I don't even recall if
they used the same spec as 5" drives (which motherboards stopped
supporting quite some time ago). The chances of finding such a
controller are slim, and finding it for PCI substantially slimmer (since
the 8" floppy controller spec was out of use for quite a while by the
time PCI cards came into use.

According to Wikipedia, there was only one source for drives supporting
the 1M double-sided format:

"The dual-sided 1MB floppy entered production in 1975, but was plagued
by an industry problem, poor media quality. There were few tools
available to test media for 'bit-shift' on the inner tracks, which made
for high error rates, and the result was a substantial investment by
Burroughs in a media tester design that they then gave to media makers
as a quality control tool, leading to a vast improvement in yields."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk#Origins.2C_the_8-inch_disk

Like I said, if you do end up being able to read these things,
immediately go out and buy a lottery ticket.

There's a possible solution, but it's commercial; CBL Data Recovery in
Markham. I know they've got just about every tape drive format ever
made, maybe they can handle old floppies too.

- Evan