Why not Linux?

Gregory D Hough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 5 14:08:36 UTC 2006

David J Patrick wrote:
> It's really very simple;
> People will only change when the pain of the status quo is greater
> than the pain of change. For many of us (converted) we crossed that
> threshold long ago, but the rest of the populace will have to wait for
> a worm to eat their precious files, or the release of MS Vista !

Isn't the pain already at critical mass? I mean look at all what ya
gotta do with a WinOS these days. You have to buy an AV and update sigs
every day and you must renew that subscription every year to remain even
mildly protected. You must contend with botnets that never go away
seeking services on the box which are listening by default. You are
given a browser riddled with a builtin error of design in which to visit
your happy-go-plucky sites. You then must acquire certain Spyware and
Adware gadgets to keep your cache clean.

People have accepted all this as "just the way it is." I really don't
think it is worth the energy beating this dead horse any longer. The
money spent for all the above is huge and I don't think you're gonna
find those holding the bursary willing to part company.

greg