Why not Linux?

Gregory D Hough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 4 16:51:22 UTC 2006

paul sutton wrote:
> Thank you for the link i have added this to my website,  now what I need
> is some sort of uptodate faq that can help promote the advantages of
> Linux over other operating systems, without being too complex,  the sort
> of thing that can be used as a guide in promotional material or help me
> make my own website more accurate, etc.
>
> I know there is one out there,  but it's pretty big,  i just need
> something simple.   for example to answer the following
>
> Focus on what Linux has to offer. There is no need to bash the
> competition. Linux is a good, solid product that stands on its own.
>
> but there is no point in saying Linux is a multi-tasking,
> multiprocessing operating system kernel when I then have to try and
> explain this to someone with no knowledge of computers,  and will just
> want something to write letters, surf the net and send mail but still
> understand they are using free software and what that means,  KISS whats
> relevent and what is not kind of thing
>
> paul

That's the whole point of discussions like these Paul... It ain't
simple. The closed minds you'll encounter is the only element of
simplicity. But it is my opinion that we Linux users have a silver
bullet in our arsenal and that's the "Live Distro." Something the other
guy won't touch with a telephone poll.

Distros such as Mandrake Move, Knoppix and many others, are a great way
to introduce Linux to family, friends and coworkers. It runs on their
computer without messing with their hard drive, except possibly
utilising Windows swap for some memory.

Your local bookstore is a treasure trove for Linux magazines which have
tripled over the last few years. When I browse the mags, I always make
sure I accidently put them back on the shelf in a more prominent place,
like in front of the popular PC stuff. There is a better chance that the
next person will see it on the front shelf and buy it. If more are sold,
the bookstore orders more and Linux quietly grows with just a teeny
effort on your part.

greg