Why not Linux?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 4 01:44:33 UTC 2006

On 9/3/06, Gregory D Hough <mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Dave Cramer wrote:

> >> Perhaps because of the often illegal means he used to obtain that his
> >> wealth.
> >
> > That seems to be the norm, consider much of the Canadian, and US  wealth
> > was created out of the days when alcohol was illegal.
>
> Those are very simplistic arguments which presume that illegal
> activities often earn greater profits. But what is so illegal about the
> worlds greatest philanthropist medicating the third world with
> experimental drugs from profits earned by the distribution of diseased
> software?

Illegal activities generally do earn higher levels of profits than
other activities; that's the only way for there to be an incentive to
take on the risks involved in them.

And it *is* fair to say that a lot of Canadian riches were made as a
result of US Prohibition...

> My friends, it is a viscous circle.

Circles don't have viscosity.  Only physical materials can be
viscous...  Such as water, which has a pretty low viscosity, compared
to, say, molasses, which has a higher viscosity.

>Nobody is perfect but God has seen
> to it that each one of us is perfectly suited for something good. We all
> have an opportunity to redeem ourselves from the wrongs we have
> perpetrated against one another. It just so happens that the world's
> greatest philanthropist has a much bigger Bill to pay.

It's no "greatness" if the money was earned dishonestly.

> I just think it is more appropriate on a Linux list to discuss the
> goodness of our chosen OS than to be forever putting down the "other
> guy." It makes us all look bad in the eyes of potential converts. Hasn't
> anyone noticed all the misguided UNSUBSCRIBERS lately?

People truly interested in Linux have a vastly more relevant mailing
list they can subscribe to:
   <http://vger.kernel.org/>
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.