fsck and raidtools

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 4 00:51:59 UTC 2006

fsck seems to go mental when I try to use it on an md device.  Is this normal?

 # fsck /dev/md0
 fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
 e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
 The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 17101184 blocks
 The physical size of the device is 17101168 blocks
 Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
 Abort<y>?

Going ahead with the repairs seems to do nothing.  This error will
always reappear.

What's going on?  How can I check an md device if fsck always acts like this?

It sounds reasonable that I would have to check the (in this case) two
source drives individually.  Is that right?