Hardware experiences?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 3 04:41:19 UTC 2006

| From: William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>

| Interesting... I'm thinking about getting rid of all my P2/P3's (all 4
| of them) and replace them with a single P4 system.

I've never bought a P4 (except for junky & cheap Celeron D systems).
I would think that it would be silly to do so know.

Core 2 is best right now, but not cheapest.

Athlon is good, and cheap.

So why buy a P4 which isn't good and can hardly be significantly
cheaper than Athlon?

Back-of-envelope calculation: P4 might take 40 more watts than an
Athlon.  If you leave your machine on all the time (which I do, and I
would guess you do) that amounts
	40W * 24h/d * 365d/y = 350kwh / y
or about $20 extra per year in power charges.

Bonus: the latest Athlons (those that use DDR2) and all Cores (except
T2300e) have hardware assistance for virtualization.