Backing up to DVDs

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 3 01:46:11 UTC 2006

Hey all,

Right now I'm doing my backups manually using K3B, because it's a simple
way to create mountable DVD filesystems to which to copy files.

I'd like to move to something that helps manage the task more
automatically (and do things like incrementals and maximize capacity
without breaking files across volumes), but it looks like available
tools (such as Amanda) are meant to work with tape drives and raw
devices. I'd like to use a backup system that will back files up to one
or more DVD-Rs, as filesystems rather than 4.7GB tarballs; think `cpio
-p` rather than `cpio -o`, if you know what I mean. The nicest thing
about this is that no recovery or extraction software is necessary, only
(if used) decompression.

Speaking of compression; I'd love to be able to tell the system to bzip
certain file types (ie. *.txt, *.log, *.doc, etc.) but not to even try
to do files that are already compressed (ie, multimedia).

Also, I'd love the system to make a log of what it's doing of the form:
<filename path> <media label> <date_backed_up>

Are there articles anywhere about how to do this? Existing packages?
Config changes to Amanda? Maybe this can all be done using shell or perl
scripts and existing command line utilities, I'm just not sure if
something like this has already been done. Certainly someone else has
had to deal with this kind of thing before....

Does anyone here have any experience with "dar/kdar", "bacula" or
"taper"? Would any of them fit the task?

Thanks for all suggestions. I've waited too long to do this.

- Evan