OT: Orwell (Was: Why not Linux?)

Paul Osman paul-trWFDORQd8hBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 2 15:30:26 UTC 2006

On 2-Sep-06, at 11:19 AM, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> On Saturday 02 September 2006 10:57, Rick Tomaschuk wrote:
>> On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 14:05 -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
>>> I have not read Animal Farm I'm afraid, but I do know
>>
>> Animal Farm is a satirical allegory of Soviet totalitarianism. Major
>> events in the book are based on ones from the Soviet Union during the
>> Stalin era. (From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
>> Animal_farm ...sorry I
>> don't have Encarta)
>
> Well, wikipedia is certainly either not a fully trustfull source of
> information.
>
> Was 1984 based on Soviet Union? I doubt that. I doubt also that the
> Animal
> Farm was.
>
> Orwell wrote rather about the possible evolution of the western
> civilization.
> Was he so wrong? In some sense no: 911 is an example.
>
> zb.

Hard to say exactly what Orwell's feelings about the Soviet Union
were. Depends on what time he was writing I think. In "Homage to
Catalonia", he describes his experiences fighting with the Communists
in the Spanish Civil War. He was a member of the POUM (Workers' Party
of Marxist Unification) which was eventually outlawed by the
Communist Party, leaving many members, including Orwell feeling
betrayed. He also seemed to have a lot of sympathy for the Anarchists
in the CNT/FAI, who obviously were not fans of the Communist Party in
Spain or it's backers in the Soviet Union.

I think 1984 and Animal Farm were probably both based on his worries
about totalitarianism in general... these views were probably shaped
by both his outlook on Western Civilization and his experiences with
Soviet backed Communists.

Cheers,
-
Paul