Inquiry about FREE mailing lists

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 1 20:36:09 UTC 2006

Hello

I just wanted to run this past some people. I am planning to
maintain a mailing list for a group of people, and I was wondering
if there are any trustworthy providers of this service.

I have tried three so far, and have not gotten to far. I was
wondering if anyone can sayt anything about their reputations, and
probably suggest a reputable provider.

Since we are on a budget, I wish to stick to FREE email lists.

www.coolist.com
    I created a list and added some "test users" (my alternate email
    addresses), but the users could not verify themselves. The link to
    verify the subscription was to a server called "28.nu". The "nu"
    country code belongs to a Pacific Island called Niue, about 2000 km
    northeast of Welland, New Zealand. I think it is a dead server, and
    no one is taking care of it.  Emails to tech support bounced. Nice
    interface, though. Configurable in all the important ways.

www.bravenet.com
    I had used BraveNet before for other services, and know about the
    advertising. I had set up a request for a mailing list, and the web
    server tells me that information about my password has been mailed
    to me. That was about 4 hours ago, and I am still waiting. Again, I
    intend to set up test users and see if it blows up on me.

www.freelists.org
    Sounds OK, and they tell me I have to wait 24h until they approve
    of my idea, but something on their website said that they dealt
    with "teachnical topics" only. The purpose of my list is to discuss
    various managerial matters, so it is not strictly technical. I
    noticed from their display of list topics that they seem to allow
    some departure from technology-related stuff. But once again, I
    don't know anything about these guys, except that they are very
    pro-open-source, and run Linux, plus any other 'net-worthy freeware
    they can get their hands on. So they score points there.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Paul King