apt-get update

GG.m geofm-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 1 14:34:48 UTC 2006

geofm-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:

A followup on apt-get and Kanotix. The following appeared on the home
page of the Kanotix website, and I saw it today.
========
A package, that was meant for experimental has slipped into incoming
today (Aug. 22) and will most likely be in next dist-upgrade. The
package is xserver-xorg 1:1.1.1-3
 Until that is fixed, there are 2 ways:
 -don't do dist-upgrade until further notice
 -put xserver-xorg on hold with echo xserver-xorg-core hold|dpkg
--set-selections

 If you read this too late, you can fetch xserver-xorg-core/testing to
fix things
 source: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/08/msg01007.html

Edit: Open Office hangs in dist-upgrade

With todays version 2.0.3-6 the problem is fixed, so dist-upgrade runs
fine again

 In todays' dist-upgrade open office causes the system to hang.

 Apt-get -f install has to be done and that removes the following:
 openoffice.org, openoffice.org-draw, openoffice.org-impress

 After apt-get -f install do a: apt-get install openoffice.org That
willl pull -draw & -impress as well.

 If any other errors should occur or other packages be removed, please
inform us at irc #kanotix
=====
Then the following message:
=======
The issue has been resolved for kanotix, upgrades are supposed to be
safe again - in case you got hit in the mean time, please upgrade
xserver-xorg-core again and revert "echo xserver-xorg-core hold|dpkg
--set-selections" with "echo xserver-xorg-core install|dpkg
--set-selections"
=======
It turns out that there was a problem with the repos. I don't think it
was fixed even by Aug. 26, the last time I reinstalled Kanotix. I have
just again reinstalled it. All seems good so far, however, I am doing
limited updates. I am using Synaptic to install packages, plus I am
limiting sources.list to debian stable and testing only. Unstable keeps
wanting to update CUPS. Doing that in the past has caused CUPS to go
completely AWOL on my system. Limiting sources.list to debian testing
allows for the retention of the old version of CUPS which has the old HP
drivers that I need, plus the Brother drivers also operate flawlessly.

Hope that this helps someone. However, while I like using Kanotix, for
me the smoothest, least troublesome operating distro that I have ever
used is PCLinuxOS.