relayhost when authentication is required

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 1 01:50:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-31-08 at 15:33 -0400, Paul Nash wrote:
> >  however our new evil isp (rogers/yahoo) requires
> >authentication first.
>
> Install cyrus-sasl, rebuild postfix with sasl support.
>
> in /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>
> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
> smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
> smtp_sasl_security_options =
>
> in /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd:
>
> smtp.broadband.rogers.com		myname-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org:mypasswd

thanks to everyone for their help.  this solution worked great, once i
remembered to run postmap on /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd, which
generates /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db.  that's described
here:http://www.tribulaciones.org/docs/postfix-sasl-tls-howto.html
anyway thanks everyone. it's a huge help.

now in addition to this i really feel my laptop ought to be able to
switch postfix configurations when i go from location to location...
but that's another story!

thanks,
matt