advice and pointers on Apache, Bind/DNS, Ubuntu

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 31 23:19:23 UTC 2006

I've never done anything with Bind, so if you're married to that
nameserver, you can ignore the rest, but what about trying djbdns?  I
know some people have issues with DJB's licensing terms, but his
nameserver is easy to use and it's free enough for me.

Check out http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html and http://www.lifewithdjbdns.com/.

I _think_ that adding a new subdomain to djbdns amounts to this:

# cd /service/tinydns/root
# ./add-alias baz.foobar.com 1.2.3.4
# make

Where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of the web server that's managing the
virtual hosting.  The tinydns process will immediately start serving
the new data after make completes but, of course, there are still
potential issues with cached NXDOMAINs in other (remote) caching
nameservers if somebody has recently queried for baz.foobar.com.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com