How much swap?

david thornton david-FkEgs2FKm2NvBvnq28/GKQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 31 22:51:40 UTC 2006

Cringe.

Do any of you gals/guys examine memory usage on long lived linux boxes?
(I used the term long lived in the windows sense of the term , ie more
than 2 weeks :P )

98% of boxes I've managed have never used swap. Never.

of the 2% that I have seen use swap:

1% are Oracle boxes often running more than one instance . I'm pretty
green on the oracle side but what I undestand Oracle is a good OS
citizen. You tell it how much you expect to use ( using some solid /
simple math) it then allocates as much as it needs , for now. Then as
needs rise , it uses upto as much as you originally told it to use.
Note: This might exceed Physical memory.. result? Swap. and that's ok in
that situ. Things run smoothly.

1% are boxes in serious trouble about to fall over go boom. Hullo poor
servlets/jsp in tomcat containers?

A colloary to this observation: physical memory usage run at 99.XX %
most of time ... this is due to agreesive disk caching as far as  I know.

So, I've done servers with the 2XRAM swap and servers with nearly zero (
512 MB) (I'd never do that on an Oracle machine). The time the extra
swap buys me on a faulting app is negligble.

So what do you guys/gals see? Does swap help you when things go pear shaped?

David