KnoppMyth Install Event.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 30 17:57:29 UTC 2006

Want to turn a PC into a TiVo personal video recorder,
with even more bells and whistles? Want the power and
flexibility of Linux behind it? Well, then you want
MythTV a all the bells and whistles. The problem with
MythTV is that it tends to be something of a challenge
to install. This weekend we will be doing a
specialized install fest where we will be installing
KnoppMyth on to boxes, which removes most, but not all
of the headaches of doing a MythTV install.

Please note that since the first note about this event
went out to the TLUG general mailing list there has
been a change in plans, so please pay attention to the
details below:

- Date: Saturday November 4th, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Place: Innovation Toronto, 169 Eastern Ave.
(intersection of Eastern and St. Laurence, 1 block
south of King, just west of the Don Valley).

The focus of this will be to do a hands on event,
doing actual installs. I currently have the following
people signed up:

- Dave Germiquet and friend
- Teddy David Mills
- Jim Taylor
- William O'Higgins Witteman

Innovation Toronto at present has a limited amount of
free space. If you do want to be at this install fest
please e-mail me I will know how many to expect.

My boss at 169 Eastern is looking to sell off some
20+” CRT monitors for $35 each. So if anyone is
interested let me know and something can be made to
happen this weekend, but keep in mind you will need a
motorized vehicle with at least 3 wheels to move these
monsters

When it comes to PCs to be used for the install, you
will want to bring a PC with these sorts of specs (or
better):

- PIII 750 MHz (better recommended).
- 256 MB RAM (more recommended).
- 80 GB hard drive (can be done with 2 x 40 GB drives
but MUCH more is strongly recommended).
- DVD or CD-ROM reader (DVD recommended).
- 1 or more Linux support TV tuner cards (ideally the
ones supported under the ivtv drivers see:
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Main_Page)
- Video card (ideally one that can do mpeg decoding,
such as a Hauppage PVR-350 or the nVidia 5200 (or
better) video cards).

For homework before coming to the event please get an
account with zap2it.com:

  labs.zap2it.com

These are the folks that provide the free TV listings
that you can pop up on screen (catch being you must
log-in every 3 months to fill out a survey...). During
the account set-up you will be asked for a certificate
code which for MythTV is: ZIYN-DQZO-SBUT

When selecting a password for your zap2it.com account
make sure it is a "disposable" password (i.e.: one you
do NOT care if others see at the event), as at one
point during the set-up your password will be visible
in plain text on screen (sigh, grumble, this is a
MythTV issue, not a KnoppMyth issue...).

Other stuff, I will be looking at what other goodies
that can be brought along for the install. For
example, KnoppMyth comes with XMAME, which allow for
the running of old coin operated video software under
emulation. All those old games are under copyright,
but the copyright holders for Gridlee and Robbie Roto
have given their ok for non-commercial copying of
those programs. KnoppMyth doesn't come with any of the
old games. So, I will bring Gridlee, Robbie Roto and
what ever other non-included legally copy able goodies
that I can come up with. Any suggestions beyond
Gridlee and Robbie Roto?

Any questions?

Colin.