introducing the MetaLUG Foundation (introducing metalug, part II)

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 30 13:32:22 UTC 2006

and who's going to pay for all of this metalug mail, website, resources stuff ?
Who's going to pay people to actually put in all the work required to
set up run metalug.com ?
The MetaLUG Foundation, of course !

With the help of more the legally and bureaucratically inclined
members of our little community, I hope to realise a Foundation whose
goals are;

1) identify, catalog and map LUGs everywhere.
2) to foster synergies between LUGs and create effective channels both
inter-lug and upstream.
3) to aggregate resources to help make the creation or maintenance of
a LUG easy and fun.
4) to promote the use of GNU/linux and/or FLOSS.

The MetaLUG Foundation will raise funds through private and corporate
donations, and by offering large, paid workshops. The entire process
will have to be kept way out in the open and eat an all-dogfood diet.
Funds raised will go towards the above stated goals, often employing
the considerable skills found in our very midst. The MetaLUG
Foundation will buy mainstream advertising, with funds raised from the
grass roots to the glass towers.

dreaming ? [shrugs] it's what I do ! can't help it, and if I have your
ear, I'll use it.
The worst thing that could happen is that I'm branded as a flaming
linux fan-boy nutcase and get osrichsized !
The best thing that could happen is that some folks might like the
idea, and run with it ! Can I do it alone ? c'mon, no way, not in a
million years, I can't even configure a network printer, but could the
combined memberships of GTAlug, NewTLUG, KWlug et al ??
why maybe yes !
I think they could !
If they were so inclined,
so I toss it out there.

I'll be setting up metalug.com.net.org.ca initially as a means of
refining and defining the mission, and then running them to achieve
it. I hope you'll join me. I need help ;-)

djp
djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
www.linuxcaffe.ca
geek chic and caffe cachet