introducing metalug

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 29 20:05:33 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 15:09 -0400, David J Patrick wrote:
> Years ago, as a direct result of my frustrations with proprietary
> software vendors, I discovered linux. A boxed version of Mandrake 7.2
> was my gateway to the world of Open Source (yes, RMS, GNU too) and I
> never looked back. In my earlier explorations, the desktop software
> was, to put it gently, not-ready-for-prime-time, but I recognised the
> underlying philosophies; freedom-as-in-speech, global colabouration,
> gravitation towards best practices and open standards, stuck with it,
> and was proven correct in my belief that the development model would
> survive and flourish and result in software that was good, for all the
> right reasons.
>
> At first, it was lonely. I didn't meet another linux user for a year,
> or so. I would boot back into Win98 (because I couldn't yet connect to
> the net) and researched my way through RPM hell and code that
> shouldn't have been called beta, and to burn .isos.
>
> Then I found TLUG and, even though cries for help were often met by
> the RTFM squad, and threads that would go immediately OT, or radio
> silence, it was encouraging to know that there existed like minded
> individuals in my immediate area. Ifn I wuz crazy, I wasn't the only
> one. Direct contact with a handful of generous souls kept me on the
> path and (eventually) I was able to reformat my Windows partition.
>
> Now linux is mainstream (in a grass rootsy, underground way) and I'm
> on the Board of Directors of GTAlug, run linuxcaffe; a local coffee
> shoppe with WiFi and more distros than you can shake a stick at. We've
> been open for about a year and a half. Momentum is building. The
> energy and enthusiasm for FLOSS is undeniable, and linuxcaffe may seem
> like the eye of the hurricane.. but it ain't ! This thing's
> everywhere. It's like there was some dormant gene just waiting for the
> technology to catch up.
>
> LUGs happen. Some of us will grok FLOSS and then have a need to gather
> with other birds of a feather. This is a global happening and anywhere
> that has electricity and an internet connection, has (or will soon
> have) LUGs. This is good,
>
> but,
> user groups are naturally and necessarily geographically dispersed.
> There is no consistent form and communication within a LUG is often ad
> hoc. Communication IN BETWEEN lugs is spotty to non-existent. This
> misses brilliant opportunities. Small groups of like minded
> individuals gather in small groups around the planet and say pretty
> much the same things to each other;  "in only more people knew about
> this...", "if we could only scrape together some resources...", "if we
> could just contact the Big Players..." and "this linux thing is
> actually pretty cool, isn't it !". Although linux.ca and linux.com
> both post large lists of lugs, inter-lug communication is dismal, as
> demonstrated by our experience here in Toronto, where the synergies
> [...]

This is an extension of some ideas put forth by Richard Weait and Paul
Nijjar. Richard has been cross pollinating lugs and FLOSS groups for
quite a while now. He and Paul have ideas of meta mailing lists and have
put prototypes in place without the need for a larger entity. The other
initiative of theirs (please excuse me if I'm forgetting other
contributors) was a combined calendar of events.

I like the idea of having a large and demonstrably strong advocacy group
for open source. But those currently exist in FSF, Linux International
and OSDN, even the EFF counts to some degree. Can a metalug bring
something new to this?

Off the top of my head I see that this would largely benefit small LUGs.
Those lugs may not have the resources or man-power to build, develop and
maintain a large web site. I could even see medium sized lugs taking
advantage of this. The KWLug recently put in place a new web site and it
was a tremendous effort. Some of the features that we wanted are still
not in place. If there were a free hosting that provided what we needed
we may have taken advantage of it. The big ones for us were
comprehensive calendars, multi-lug announcements on mailing lists, and
forum-email gateways. This would have to support domain name hosting as
well.

The simple form of providing a list of lugs and lug hosting efforts is
feasible. There are lots of other small-lug issues a meta lug can solve
by centralizing information.

The more advanced form, corporate and government advocacy, I think is
beyond the scope, at least for now. It's an endeavour that would require
capital and lots of man-hours. This money would require a large effort
to collect as donations, or it would require corporate sponsorship which
could be undermining.
--
John Van Ostrand <john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org>
Net Direct Inc.