Is there a simple streaming audio (.pls) player?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 29 19:28:04 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 08:37:37PM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote

> What's wrong with BMPx instead of audacious or bmp?

[m3000][root][~] emerge --ask bmpx

Calculating dependencies
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "bmpx" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- media-sound/bmpx-0.32.0-r1 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
# Patrick McLean <chutzpah-aBrp7R+bbdUdnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org> (25 Sep 2006)
# This depends on dev-cpp/cairomm which is in the Gnome 2.16 mask, so
# masking until Gnome 2.16 is unmasked

- media-sound/bmpx-0.30.3 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- media-sound/bmpx-0.32.0 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
- media-sound/bmpx-0.20.3 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page
or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

  So let's go over the whole story...
  - in the beginning was xmms, which was hard-coded for GTK1.
  - that was abandoned, and the xmms2 project was started, which still
    isn't ready for prime time
  - someone forked the original xmms, and got it to compile with GTK2.
    This was BMP (Beep Media Player)
  - they abandoned it, in favour of a complete re-write, called BMPx.
    As you can see, they pull in the cairomm lib.  This is overkill.
  - Someone got annoyed enough they went and and forked audacious from
    the abandoned BMP.  This project had a choice between retaining
    "doublesize" or retaining "skins".  They chose to retain "skins",
    which leads to a dinky little player on a 1280x1024 screen.  They
    refuse to make it larger.  I think they've got their priorities
    wrong.  Since I only want a stinking .pls player, I don't really
    mind this, but the problems with mp3 support are annoying.

  mpg321 will play a URL, so I can probably come up with an ugly hack to
extract the URL from the .pls file and pass it to mpg321.  But it can't
keep up with 56 kbit audio stream, so I'm out of luck.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://techsec.blog.ca